Your five-month-old is full of energy. He wakes himself up in the morning and is ready to dive into his day.
He doesn't just look at things. He wants to explore everything. He puts things in his mouth. He rocks on his stomach. He kicks his legs. He reaches for toys. He "talks" to you. These are ways he learns and grows.
Your baby is excited because he has more control over his body. He is able to reach for things he wants. He is learning to roll over. He can "read" your feelings by the tone of your voice. He likes it when you repeat his sounds.
You can have a lot of fun with your baby as you help him learn. All this exploring, growing and learning can even wear him out. Don't be surprised if he gets frustrated and fussy sometimes. He learns by trying the same movements and sounds over and over.
What's It Like To Be Five Months Old?
How I talk:
- I like to watch other people make sounds. I try to make new
- sounds on my own.
- I may say sounds like "ah-ah-ah," "ee-ee-ee" and "oo-oo-oo."
- I may babble to get attention.
How I grow:
- I can sit with support.
- I explore my world with my eyes, fingers and mouth.
- I reach for things when I see them and am able to grasp them.
- When I'm lying down on my tummy, I can push myself up with my arms. At the same time, I can turn my head to look around.
- When I'm lying on my back, I may touch my feet and may play with my toes.
- If you hold me under my arms, I like to stand and move my body up and down.
What I understand:
- I know my name when someone says it.
- I can tell the difference between strangers and family.
- I know familiar objects like my toys.
- I am discovering parts of my body.
How I respond:
- I like to watch other people's faces.
- I like to smile and talk to myself when I'm looking in the mirror.
- I smile and make noises when I see a person.
- I may stop crying when someone talks to me calmly and softly.
- I may cry when someone leaves or when someone takes an object away from me.
For more information about dads and their baby's first year, get The Everything® Father's First Year Book by Vincent Iannelli, MD, which is published by Adams Media and is now available at your favorite bookstore.
You can also order The Everything® Father's First Year Book right now from amazon.com.